In 2001, New York City had over 1,000 outdated subway cars on its hands. When they were first introduced in 1959, the old Redbird trains were gorgeous machines, but after four decades of service, it was time for the battered cars to be permanently retired. But rather than take them to a slag heap to be salvaged for scrap or crushed into little metal cubes, the city took 619 of the cars, stripped them of their windows and oily undercarriages, steam cleaned them, and then hauled the 20,000 pound metal boxes down to Delaware on a freighter ship. Then they dumped them all into the sea.
to create reefs and oyster beds!
REBLOG AND WIN!!! see below —
There has been a lot of stuff going on at Out of Step Arts here in the last little bit. I’ve been adding new books and original art to the store, you can buy shirts with designs from the artists in the OOSA Bodega, and now, the OOSA Print Shop is open where you can buy high quality print-on-demand fine art Giclee prints. We have several prints available already and we’ll be adding more all of the time, including some from a few of our friends!
So to help get the word out about all of these great things being offered to you by the OOSA artists and to celebrate our upcoming 3-year anniversary, I want to give you an opportunity to get free stuff! It’s easy, all you have to do is share this post.
How it works:
- Anyone who reblogs this post will be entered for a chance to win a free print from the Print Shop. “Likes” are appreciated, but they won’t get you entered in the contest.
- On 8/1/14, I’ll randomly select three (3) people as winners. Winners will be notified via Tumblr, so be sure you have your ask or mail features activated.
- The three people selected will let me know which print they want based on what is in the Print Shop at the time the contest ends. We have currently have 7 prints, but plan on adding more. (*Some restrictions may apply, but I doubt it.)
- I’ll mail you your print for free worldwide! Winners will not incur any costs or fees.
- If the person(s) selected cannot be contacted via tumblr, do(es) not respond timely, or declines, another person(s) will be be chosen.
Not bad for clicking a button, huh?
Out of Step Arts features Alexis Ziritt, Nathan Fox, Logan Faerber, Ming Doyle, Andrew MacLean, Toby Cypress, Liz Suburbia, Paul Maybury, Chris Visions and Greg Ruth.
Thanks for getting the word out about OOSA. Your help is certainly appreciated. Good luck!
Tomorrow is your last chance to REBLOG AND WIN!!! That’s it, that’s all you have to do! Good luck and REBLOG!!!
Today is your LAST CHANCE to WIN some sweet artwork to hang on your wall!! Think of how fancy your cocktail parties will be, or how the ladies and guys will swoon when you whisper ‘Giclée' in their ear…
All you have to do is REBLOG to WIN!!
BUH do this thing
Drilling and fracking threaten soil quality and agriculture. For example, the Denver Post reported that Colorado state data list 578 oil and gas spills for 2013, equivalent to a gallon of toxic liquid penetrating the soil every eight minutes.
This is the ninth daily graphic featuring science in the Compendium from Concerned Health Professionals of NY: http://ConcernedHealthNY.org/Compendium/
huh… i wonder if it drives well, and if it gets good fuel economy…
some days are just hard. harder then others, easier then some, but never the less today is one…